Saturday, June 15, 2013

This was the year

Here is another poem I wrote, hope you enjoy it. I'm officially making this my poetry blog so I'll try to post more often but I can't really control how long it takes to write a poem.


"This was the year" by Arianna Gutierrez
 
This was the year:
 The year that everything changed
Where I would wake up in the night to the screams of my mother
Scars on my lips from biting back tears
The year I learned to embrace the suck
No matter how much it sucked
And that words are only words
And “pig” and “slut” would not define me
This was the year I was stripped of my innocence
And thrust into a new world of pain
But I had to swallow my hurt and be the shoulder that others would cry on
But how can I heal someone else when I lay broken?
And all of my words fell on deaf ears
And it was all too much
And I wanted to make them feel my hurt
Wanted to claw and hit and scratch and tear
And everywhere I was, I was entirely alone
In the middle of a crowd of loving people and I was alone
Because I was blind
This was the year that love stared me square in the face
And told me I was beautiful
When I most needed to hear it
And loving friends picked me up off the sidewalk and pieced me back together with threads of hope
This was the year I learned to laugh again
The real kind of laugh that makes your sides hurt but in a good way
This was the year I tasted the grown up world and got drunk from it
And learned how wonderful and mysterious and thrilling it can be
This was the year that I look back on my childhood
And longed for the simplicity of it all
and this was the year that everything got better
And everything was ok again
And I finally found myself

No comments:

Post a Comment